The Women’s Forum of the ASAA includes people interested in promoting scholarship on women in Asia or supporting women working within Asian Studies. The Women’s Forum:
- convenes the Women in Asia Conference (Sept 26-28 2017 UWA in Perth)
- coordinates a moderated email discussion listserv
- holds a biennial meeting held during the ASAA Conference
- supports the Women in Asia book series
Women’s Forum History
The ASAA Women’s Caucus was established in 1978 and changed its name to the Women’s Forum at the 2006 ASAA Conference. The forum has played a significant role in raising the profile of women doing research on Asia in Australia, as well as promoting research about women in Asia.
The Women’s Caucus produced a newsletter 2-3 times a year up to 1997 before being replaced by the Women’s Forum Listserv.
Past editors include:
- to 1994: Antonia Finnane
- 1994-1997: Louise Edwards and Anne Cullen
- 1997-1998: Andrea Whittaker
The 2017 WIA conference is being held at UWA in Perth between September 26-28 2017.
Previous conferences include:
- 2010: 10th Women in Asia Conference, Crisis, Agency and Change, Australian National University (ANU), 29 September – 1 October. Organiser, Tamara Jacka.. Conference Program
- 2008: 9th International Women in Asia Conference, Women in Asia: Transition and Interchange, University of Queensland, 29 September-1 October. Organisers, Helen Creese, Tomoko Aoyama, Rosemary Roberts.
- 2005: 8th Women in Asia Conference, University of Technology Sydney, 26-28 September. Organisers, Barbara Leigh, Devleena Ghosh. Program and Abstracts
- 2001: 6th Women in Asia Conference, ANU, 23-26 September. Organiser, Kathryn Robinson
- 1997: 5th Women in Asia Conference, UNSW, 2-5 October. Organiser, Jan Elliot
- 1993: 4th Women in Asia Conference, University of Melbourne, 1-3 October
- 1985: 3rd Women in Asia Conference, ANU, 11-13 July
- 1983: 2nd Women in Asia Conference, Monash University, 22-24 July
- 1981: 1st Women in Asia Conference, UNSW, 13-15 June.